Five steps companies can take to ‘Get Ready for Brexit’

Fleet news logo

The Government has suggested five things parcel delivery and logistics companies can do now to get ready for the UK leaving the EU on October 31.

Prepare for new customs procedures at the border when trading with the EU

To continue importing from and exporting to the EU after October, there are changes companies need to make now. Make sure you have an Economic Operators Registration and Identification (EORI) number that starts with GB, visit

For businesses that import there’s also the option of applying with transitional simplified procedures (TSP). This streamlines the process and is ideal for those new to customs procedures, it said. Find step-by-step guides to importing and exporting, as well as more information at

Check if your customers can give you the right documents for trade with the EU

The Government says that you may not be able to transport goods through the EU if your customers do not give you the right documents. For guidance and a checklist on what documents you may need visit and search ‘international road haulage checklist’.

Signpost the EU Settlement Scheme

Employers can help their EU, European Economic Area (EEA) and Swiss staff get the information they need to apply for status under the EU Settlement Scheme. This will enable them to secure their rights in the UK. Applicants have until at least December 31 2020 to make an application.

Visit and search ‘EU Settlement Scheme Employer Toolkit’ for more information.

Driving in the EU

You will still need to carry your UK driving licence with you when you drive in the EU. You will also need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in some EU and EEA countries if we leave the EU without a deal.

You will still need a Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) qualification to drive a lorry professionally in the UK and other EU and EEA countries.

If you work for an EU operator, you should swap your UK CPC for an EU CPC. Additionally, you will need to carry a motor insurance green card when driving in the EU and EEA if we leave without a deal.

For more information visit and search ‘lorry drivers after Brexit’.

Act now to continue legally receiving personal data from the EU/EEA after Brexit

Check how you can legally continue to receive personal data such as names, addresses or payroll details from organisations in the EU or EEA after October 31.

You may need to update your contracts or take other steps. An example of a personal data transfer from an EU/EEA partner is a UK company that receives customer information from an EU/EEA company, such as names and addresses of customers, suppliers or partners to provide goods or services.

Find additional information at or visit the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) guidance at and search for ‘data protection and Brexit’.

Comment as guest

Login  /  Register


No comments have been made yet.

Related content

What's the tax liability on my van?

Calculate the BIK tax on any van on sale today with our van tax calculator

How green is your van?

Check out the CO2 emissions for new vans with our CO2 calculator?