Driver CPC

Who’s affected?

The Driver Certificate of Professional Competence is required by any vocational driver of HGVs over 3.5 tonnes or passenger service vehicles (e.g. bus drivers) where goods or passengers are carried commercially and driving is the main part of their job.

Who oversees it?

The courses are accredited by Joint Approvals Unit for Periodic Training (JAUPT). Driver records are maintained and driver qualification cards (DQCs) issued by the DVSA.

What is it?

Vocational drivers need to undertake 35 hours’ training in every five-year period to maintain a valid DQC. Sessions are seven hours long and can be divided between in-cab training and classroom-based training. There is a wide degree of latitude about course content and many operators have chosen to become JAUPT-registered in order to create their own commercially relevant courses, as well as the market having many independent training companies offering courses.

Many drivers who held licences prior to 2009 are now in their second five-year period. Vocational licence tests now include qualification for the DCQ, and new drivers start their periodic training period thereafter.


Those caught driving a bus or goods vehicle without a Driver CPC are liable to fines up to £1,000. Failing to carry a Driver Qualification Card at work can leave an individual open to a £50 fine even if their qualification is valid.


Comment as guest

Login  /  Register


No comments have been made yet.

What's the tax liability on my van?

Calculate the BIK tax on any van on sale today with our van tax calculator

How green is your van?

Check out the CO2 emissions for new vans with our CO2 calculator?